2011-03-27

The first graffiti

photo by Sisse Brimberg, National Geographic

When I was an undergraduate student, one student activist drew small graffiti on the wall of cafeteria. I couldn’t read and understand what it meant. It was just like other graffiti, but for me it was not more than rubbish. That student was blamed in public and finally wiped the graffiti off the wall. He was a candidate of student union president and lost in an election, of course. I think that what really bothers me is the material, spray. It is sticky and hard to remove. I didn’t like dirty my school, or wall of school. And that’s the reason why graffiti artists use spray.

It was Lascaux cave that come to my mind at first. Human beings have enjoyed doodling for quite a long time. We think that the cave is very important because it reflects the lifestyle of that time. At this point, in the future, people can guess the life and think from present graffiti. Therefore, I can say that graffiti is the doodle that reflects status here and now.

Also, the graffiti of one student in the first paragraph shows that there were many students who didn’t know about it and hated it. The graffiti chose wrong TPO.